POs are self-sustaining, special interest groups set up by people acting exclusively outside the scope of any official capacity as officers, employees, or agents of the federal government.
|Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Before Getting Started
Please note this list does not cover all of the regulations for a Private Organization, but is just a brief overview. For more information, please reference AFI 34-223, the Private Organization Guide, base legal office, the Private Organization Monitor, or online at www.20thfss.com. We want to help make your event a success!
- Use letterhead, name or seal of DoD or DoD acronym, your rank or job title on a donation letter.
- Use raffles, lotteries and other games of chance.
- Compete with AAFES or 20th Force Support activities.
- Sell alcoholic beverages.
- Solicit on Shaw AFB.
- Contact local businesses while in uniform.
- Promise a business something in return for the donation or gift; it is just that...a donation or gift.
- Conduct fundraising in the workplace.
- Advertise a company’s name or logo that made a donation prior to your event (example: don’t distribute a poster, flyer or email stating to come to the event and win a bike from Cycle Gear. Instead, when promoting your event, state to come win a bike. At the event you can then thank Cycle Gear for their donation.)
- Conduct more than two fundraisers on Shaw AFB per calendar quarter (AFI 34-223)
- Use the following disclaimer on all print materials mentioning the POs name confirming that the PO is not part of the DoD. “This organization does not represent Shaw Air Force Base or the United States Air Force in any way. This is a private organization. It is not part of the Department of Defense or any of its components and it has no governmental status. Any such donations made will go to benefit this organization and not Shaw AFB, the United States Air Force or the United States Government.”
- Have your donation letter reviewed by legal prior to seeking donations.
- Notify your Private Organization Monitor of any committee changes such as President, VP, etc.
- Make it clear that you are raising funds as Private Individuals and NOT as a Captain, Sergeant, etc.
The Air Force and the Department of Defense have guidelines about fundraising. These questions and answers will help you follow the rules you may not have known applied to your organization and give you general knowledge on private organizations and unofficial activities.
Q. Does my organization have to be a chartered PO (Private Organization) to conduct fundraising activities on base?
A. No. Approved UAs (Unofficial Activities) are also authorized to conduct fundraisers. However AFI 34-223 requires your group to be one or the other.
Q. What are Unofficial Activities?
A. Small unofficial activities (like coffee funds and other small operations) are generally not considered POs. However, if their current assets (which include cash, inventories, receivables, and investments) exceed a monthly average of $1,000 over a 3-month period, the activity must become a PO, discontinue on-base operations, or reduce its current assets below the $1,000 threshold.
Q. How can my organization become a chartered PO?
A. The 20th FSS/FSR has an instructional package complete with samples. They can help you complete this package and forward it to Legal for coordination. The request is then forwarded through the chain up to the MSG Commander for approval.
Q. What is the real difference between a PO and a UA?
A. Like unofficial activities, POs are self-sustaining special interest groups set up by people acting outside the scope of any official position they may have with the government. Unlike unofficial activities, their monthly assets (which include cash inventories, receivables, and investments) are at a threshold exceeding an average of $1,000.00 over a 3-month period. That is the real difference. Both UA’s and PO’s are governed by AFI 34-223, and may operate on the installation at the pleasure of the installation commander.
Q. Do I need Liability Insurance?
A. POs must have liability insurance unless the installation commander waives the requirement. This waiver does not negate the PO’s liabilities. The waiver says the PO does not normally conduct functions for which there is a danger damage to property or individuals. In the absence of insurance the PO and their members assume the liability. Liability insurance should be required unless the activities of the PO are such that the risk of liability is negligible. Forward all liability insurance waiver requests though 20th FSS/FSR, 20th FSS/CC, 20th TRW/JA, and 20th MSG/CC for approval. Insurance waivers must be re-evaluated annually.
Q. Once my organization becomes a UA or PO, how do I receive approval to conduct a fundraiser?
A. Submit a fundraising request form to the 20th FSS/FSR. Some limitations are as follows:
- The fundraising event will not be conducted during the Combined Federal Campaign or the Air Force Assistance Fund Campaign (unless MSG Commander approves).
- Contributions or sales will NOT be sought during duty hours in the work place. (lunch hours are permissible).
- Government equipment or letterhead will not be utilized.
- The event will not compete with AFFES or 20th FSS.
- The event will not include any games of chance, lotteries, raffles, or other gambling activity.
- Any sale of food will also be coordinated though Military Public Health.
- The sale of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- Military personnel cannot participate while in uniform.
- Otherwise comply with AFI 36-3101, Fundraising in the Air Force.
Winter Bowling League Sign Ups
(Aug 01, 2019 11:00 am)
Play All Day Mondays
(Aug 19, 2019 7:00 am)
(Aug 19, 2019 9:00 am)
Kids Bowl Free
(Aug 19, 2019 11:00 am)
(Aug 20, 2019 1:00 pm)
Half Price Skeet or Trap Rounds
(Aug 20, 2019 3:00 pm)
(Aug 20, 2019 5:00 pm)
Retired Military Appreciation Golf Special
(Aug 21, 2019 7:00 am)
Tween Book Club
(Aug 21, 2019 5:00 pm)
Wednesday with the Pros
(Aug 21, 2019 5:00 pm)
Amateur Trap Association (ATA) Registered Shoots
(Aug 22, 2019 9:00 am)
Tuition Assistance Briefing
(Aug 22, 2019 2:00 pm)
Carolina Skies Club Pizza Deal
(Aug 23, 2019 4:00 pm)
(Aug 24, 2019 7:00 am)
(Aug 24, 2019 8:00 am)
The Base Championship
(Aug 24, 2019 8:00 am)