Shaw Fitness & Health Center
Our state of the art equipment and the newly remodeled center offers a wide variety of areas and equipment to keep you fit to fly, fight and win! The overall objective of our programs is to maintain the highest possible morale and promote the physical fitness of Air Force personnel, dependents, and civilians. It is our sincere hope that you and members of your family will enjoy your leisure time spent here.
The fitness centers and facilities offer racquetball courts, a sauna, men’s and women’s locker rooms, weight rooms, a cardiovascular room, tennis courts, a 1/4 mile track, 4 running trails equaling 7 miles, softball, football and soccer fields, basketball courts, an aerobic exercise room, volleyball courts, strength resistance to free weight and cardio, and a parent fitness room with children’s play area. Just opened in late 2011, an approximately 25,000 sq. ft. addition adds a new cardio room, weight room and a men’s locker room and a women’s locker room.
The 1/4 Mile Track is OFF - LIMITS during PT Testing! There are several running trails on Shaw. Please utilize them during restricted track times.
Summer (Apr-Oct) Monday-Friday - 7 a.m - Noon
Winter (Nov-Mar) Monday-Friday - 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
Common Rules for all Equipment Areas
- Towels are mandatory for care and sanitary reasons when using any exercise equipment. Please use the cleaning wipes provided to clean equipment after use.
- Improper use of equipment can be severely dangerous. If you are unsure how to use the equipment, a staff member will assist you.
- For your own safety, watches, combat boots, civilian street shoes/sandals, jewelry with proturuding mountings and belts with buckles should not be worn when using benches and machines.
- 13-15 year old children require interactive supervision from an adult (parent, legal guardian, qualified fitness or youth program staff member, or coach). Children 12 years and under are prohibited from using the equipment.
- 8 Up-right Bikes
- 8 Recumbent Bikes
- 2 Rowing Machines
- 4 Step Mills
- 2 Steppers
- 15 Cross Trainers
- 8 Accent Trainers
- 8 Incline Trainers
- 24 Spinning Bikes
- 17 Treadmills
- Read instructions posted on machines prior to working out.
- When others are waiting to use the equpiment, please limit the use to 30 minutes.
Free Weight Area
- Due to the high risk of injury, we strongly urge the use of a spotter when training with free weights.
- Please remove plates from bars and machines and return to proper place after use.
Strength Training Area
Amenity Items for Checkout
- Racquetball Equipment
- Basketball Equipment
- Volleyball Equipment
- Football Equipment
- Soccer Equipment
- Tennis Equipment
- Weight Equipment
- Heart Monitors
Locker Room Policies (Men & Women)
- All main locker room lockers for men and women are daily use only
- All locks must be removed by the close of business. Lockers that have locks remaining on them at the end of the day will be cut off the next morning.
Sauna Polices (men and women)
Due to high temperatures, the sauna can be dangerous to your health. We recommend that you consult a physician prior to use. Persons with medical conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, respiratory problems and pregnant women should avoid exposure to high heat.
- Please shower before use.
- Please limit your maximum to 10 minutes for each use.
- Allow five minutes after exercising before entering.
- Food, beverages and paper are not allowed. No alcohol permitted.
- No street or gym attire allowed in sauna. This includes Rubber Suits.
- Towels must be used to sit on and to cover up or you must wear a bathing suit.
- Temperature is kept between 170-180 degrees and 5% humidity.
Indoor/Outdoor Basketball/Volleyball Court Policies
- All persons using the basketball and volleyball courts must hand carry court shoes into the facility.
- Proper athletic attire must be worn at all times.
- Non-marking shoes are not allowed.
- Challenge court basketball is used during peak hours: Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-1 p.m. 4-6 p.m., Saturday, Sunday and Holidays, all day. Sunday from 2-5 p.m. is volleyball challenge on ½ court (must have a minimum of 10 players to set up court)
Child Care Area
For your convenience there is a child play area located down the hallway from the front counter. There is cardiovascular and strength training equipment to use as well as TV’s for your convenience while your child plays. You must be present at all times and in sight of your child.
There are three jogging trails on Shaw AFB.
- 2.8 mile trail beginning at the Monument on Patrol road, takes you by the control tower, behind ARCENT to the North side of Patrol Road.
- 1.3 mile trail begins at the Base Chapel, goes through the woods and back to the Chapel.
- 1.5 mile trail runs around the ODR Fam Camp and Softball Complex area. ¼ Mile track is available when PT testing is not in progress
- To reserve a court (basketball, volleyball (indoor/outdoor)) or field (football, soccer or softball) you must stop by the Center’s front desk and fill out a reservation form at least 72 hours in advance of your reservation time/date.
- Units that wish to reserve a court or field for unit PT may do so at least 72 in advance.
- No recurring reservations for the month may be submitted.
- Special functions may be programmed as far out as needed with the permission of the Fitness and Sports Director.
(Jul 27, 2021 11:00 pm)